- The 2011 tournament in New Zealand will be the largest sporting event ever held in New Zealand, with around 70,000 visitors from all over the world expected to attend.
- Since the Springboks inception at IRB Rugby World Cup in 1995, the All Blacks has never again won the Webb Ellis Trophy.
- The Springboks have never lost to Canada, Fiji, Georgia, Namibia, Romania, Spain, Tonga, USA, Uruguay, Argentina, Portugal or Samoa.
- Percy Montgomery is the first Springbok to have played in 100 tests. He retired in 2008 after a record 102 tests & 893 points in the Springbok jersey. Victor Matfield & John Smit also have 100 test caps now.
- In 2005, the Springboks scored 134 points against Uruguay (this is the most points they have ever scored in a test match ever).
- 12 towns and cities throughout New Zealand will host matches during the Rugby World Cup (deciding on the host cities was a 22-month process for New Zealand).
- South Africa’s first international test match took place at Port Elizabeth’s St George’s Park in 1891.
- Ellis Park was built in 1928, and in 1955 hosted a record 100,000 people in a test between South Africa and the British and Irish Lions.
- When the Springboks won the Rugby World Cup on home turf in 1995, Nelson Mandela wore the No 6 shirt of the team’s captain – Francois Pienaar.
Back to online panels South Africa
Sources: www.firstscience.com; www.scottishrugbyblog.co.uk; www.rugby15.co.za; www.suite101.com
Other Articles: > Awards July 2011 > New Website > The Charity Preference Poll > Top Five Weird Sports